Thursday 18 March 2010

New Books and New People

I have started to look away from photography as my main source of research and I have been looking at painting and in particular Abstract Expressionism. Artists such as.... Albers, Ellsworth Kelly, Ad Reinhardt to name a few. I bought a book of Reinhardt's theory 'Art as Art', which I am currently reading. I like Reinhardt a lot he seemed so involved with his own practice and he was a great defender of what he was doing and although he got a lot of criticism in his time (40's, 50's, 60's) he kept making his work and now is considered a very important artist of the 20th century. I have also just acquired 'The Shock of the New' by Robert Hughes it came this morning so I have merely looked at the pictures as a start. My tutor suggested that I looked at this book and I am excited to see why.